You need to make sure your heating and air conditioning systems function at the highest efficiency in order to maintain a comfortable home year-round. In this post, a trusted air conditioner replacement specialist shares a maintenance checklist to follow.
- Change the air filters. Once every three months, replace the air filters in your heater and air conditioner to encourage proper airflow. If you have the manufacturer’s recommendation regarding the frequency of filter replacement, follow it diligently.
- Adjust your thermostat. Adjusting your thermostat will help prevent wasted energy. When the weather gets hot, set the thermostat to “cool”. In the fall or winter, set it to “heat” or “warm”. As a general rule, the set temperature shouldn’t be cooler than either the room or the outdoor temperature.
- Check the electrical connections. Check your electrical wiring and make sure there are no loose or broken connections. If you can’t plug a loose connection back into the proper spot, call an air conditioner repair technician right away.
Throughout the Year
- Clear the landscaping. Keep the area around your outdoor unit clear and free of debris. Trim plants and shrubs so they’re about three feet away from the equipment. Patio furniture and garden supplies shouldn’t obstruct the flow of air in and out of the units either.
- Inspect the system. It’s important to regularly check your heating and cooling system for problems that require attention from a professional technician. These include dirty condenser and evaporator coils, damaged fins, frozen coils and water leaks. Moreover, pay attention to how the system sounds. If you hear loud buzzing noises, it’s likely that your system is malfunctioning due to loose parts, refrigerant leaks or a defective compressor.
Cooper Brothers, Inc. is a top-rated contractor specializing in HVAC air quality solutions, including air conditioner repair, furnace maintenance, duct repair and more. Give our skilled team a call at (408) 662-1538 or fill out our online form to schedule a service appointment.