The HVAC industry is always on the lookout for new and innovative ways to best serve the needs of people with an eye for comfort and luxury. One such product in the air conditioning environment is the modulated scroll system. Modulated scroll systems are revolutionary air conditioning units with the latest technology that offers the features and benefits quality-conscious consumers are seeking.
Variable-speed or modulated air conditioners ensure even room temperature. Gone are the times when you used to feel that your housing is old and freezing when the air conditioner is on, or too warm when the unit gets started. These air conditioners are less expensive as the energy consumed for operation varies.
Modulated air conditioning systems help to control the indoor humidity. It is not the temperature that makes people feel hot and sweaty, it is the humidity levels that are responsible for the sultry hot feeling indoors when the air conditioner is off. This humidity, when controlled better, makes the room more comfortable.
What is Modulation?
Modulation is a technology with which it is possible to modify the performance compressor according to the changes in ambient conditions. You can eliminate swings in temperature and also the RH levels of the house.
This means that the compressor capacity can be closely matched with the demand for cooling. A modulated compressor when fitted in an air conditioner operates at a reduced compression ratio, thus reducing the energy consumption.
Let’s look at some of the advantages of a modulated air conditioning system.
- Lower energy consumption compared to standard fixed-speed compressors
- Comfort – individual set point control can be achieved.
- Higher system operational efficiency with total airflow.
- Lower maintenance costs compared to other systems. All that a modulating system needs is changing the filters and cleaning the coils
- Controls humidity. Lower humidity allows the homeowner to raise the thermostat temperature. This saves energy and at the same time you cannot really feel a difference in the air temperature.
- Track the load more closely, when compared with normal air conditioners, modulated air conditioning systems cycle on and off less frequently, thus increasing the amount of moisture taken out from the air.
- Longer lasting and less intense airflow. This keeps the room at a more precise temperature and allows for better comfort and control while sleeping as the on and off cycles are fewer than a fixed speed unit.
- Better in-home comfort and livability. These systems also provide tangible benefits as they help you sleep better, and in turn – live better.
- Energy savings is equal to more money in the pocket. A modulated system can save more than $870 per year by way of reduced energy cost.
- No more hot or cold spots, just even and comfortable cooling.
To sum up, when temperature and humidity control are just right, life becomes easy and homeowners are happy. While a normal, fixed speed HVAC system only runs at full speed, the modulating system can run with two or more speeds. This provides consistent air conditioning that is simply what every home requires.